The ultimate checklist for relocating to Cincinnati. Prepare for your move, big or small, with a timeline and moving tips to stay organized and stress-free.
4 to 6 Weeks Before Relocating
- Purge – Prior to relocating, take the time to sort and purge unused items in every room of your current home. Decide what items to keep or get rid of and if there are any that will require special packaging or care during your move. Host a garage sale or donate any of your unwanted items to get rid of them before moving.
- Arrange a moving company – Begin researching moving companies, if you haven’t already. Don’t go with the first company that gives you a quote, do your research and compile a list before deciding on the best one for your relocation. If moving across state lines, ensure the right requirements are in order. Make arrangements with a moving company for the date of your relocation and et them know if you will need packing assistance or not. Confirm all details with a written confirmation from the company.
- Purchase Packing Materials – Once you have an idea of the amount of items you will be taking with you during your relocation, begin purchasing boxes and other packing supplies (tape, bubble wrap, permanent markers, etc.) you will need.
- Get Change of Address Cards – Visit your local post office or change your address online at usps.gov.
- Create a Moving Binder – Keep track of your relocation in a moving binder. Stay organized while prepping for your move with receipts and estimates in one binder that is easily accessible.
- Transfer School Records – If relocating with kids, request a transfer of their school records to your new school district.
- Obtain Medical Records – Make arrangements with your health care providers to obtain or send medical records.
Two Weeks Before Relocating
- Use Frozen or Perishable Goods – Begin using up things you’ve already purchased like frozen or perishable foods that won’t be making the move with you.
- Start Packing – Begin packing your moving boxes with your most infrequently used items such as kitchen wear, books, winter or summer wardrobes (depending on the time of year and climate), holiday decor, etc. Clearly label each moving box with the destination room and contents on the top and sides of the box to keep as organized as possible in your new home. This will help you keep an inventory of your belongings before and after your relocation. Keep valuables such as important documents and jewelry in a separate box that you will travel with personally. It is a good idea to keep your mover’s estimate or anything else to do with your move here so they are easily accessible when you need them.
- Organize a “Survival Closet” – Create and organize a “survival closet” that will house all things you need until the final move. Include any cleaning supplies, moving materials, or snacks you’ll need up to the last day in your current home.
- Schedule Disconnects – Begin disconnecting home utilities (gas, electric, water, etc) and scheduling connections in your new home. When contacting current utility companies, arrange any refunds you may be available for
- Cancel Services – Cancel any services or deliveries such as newspapers, cable television, pest control, cleaning or maintenance, and lawn services.
- Make Work Arrangements – Arrange to be off work the day you are moving.
- Empty Out Your Safety Deposit Box – You will more than likely be changing banks and need to clean out your safety deposit box before relocating. Place any items from your safety deposit box in the box with your other personal belongings that will specifically be traveling with you.
- Confirm Moving Arrangements – Contact the moving company to reconfirm date and times.
Week Before Relocating
- Mail Change of Address Forms – Mail in your change of address forms. If you are close to any of your neighbors or the new homeowner, you may want to provide them your new address in case any mail is sent to your old residence once you have moved.
- Finish Up Cleaning and Packing – Finish up packing your home a few days before your actual move date. Then pack individual suitcases with clothes and essentials you’ll need for a few days before and after your moving day.
Days Before Relocating
- Clean the Refrigerator – Empty, clean, defrost, and dry your refrigerator at least 24 hours prior to your move date.
- Get Out Cash – Be sure to have enough cash on hand during your relocation. If you have not already, make payment arrangements with your moving company whether by credit card prior to the day or cashier’s check. Don’t forget about tipping and any needs you may need day of.
Day of Relocation
- Be Present – If you can’t physically be present the day of your move, make arrangements for someone you trust to be there when the movers arrive to ensure their arrival, walk them through the home, and give any special instructions.
- Last Walkthrough – Before heading to your new city, do a final walk through of your current home to check for any last minute belongings, locked doors and windows, and turn your thermostat off.
- Sign the Bill of Lading/Inventory – Once in your new home sign the bill of lading/inventory list before the movers leave and keep a copy for your records.
Print out the relocation checklist above to ease the stress of your move. Contact HomeLinkCincinnati for all your Cincinnati relocation stay needs.